Seach my Blogs or Website

Friday, June 4, 2010

Dreams on Fire vs the Dark Leghorn Hen





Morning Folks

Well, lets see so far today we introduced a new footing surface, (being a old fridge grate) to that they are walking over and play on and off small wire footing, it also rocks slightly, the pups now have free run of the deck off the kitchen and are able to do both steps up and down on their own, and seem to be quite enjoying their new outdoor room

The other new thing this morning, was that while floors are drying, I took sets of two puppies out for short little yard walks, the idea being instead having the comfort of the whole puppy pack, they got much more one on one time, and instead of being just allowed to play as they wish, I called them to follow me as I walked to the garden, and did morning chores with the other critters (not the barn, its to far of a walk yet for any of them)

Its always so interesting to me on how each puppy reacts to being away from the main pack and in dealing and learning with new things, some of the bolder pups in the house become the sucky stick to you or look to you to see how to deal with things, while pups that seem more laid back in the house come out of their shells when given the chance.

So the two pups that were out where Fire and Cal, and both were keeping up well and exploring different things on the way.. chew this, climb the rock, roll in the nice dewy wet grass, carry a twig, fight over twig, attach the flowers etc
I look up and realize that on my last round of putting out fresh water in the chicken pen, I had left the gate open just a little bit and I have a few smaller hens that are now out and scatching up a storm around the rabbit hutches

So I walk back to the other end of the building to open the chicken pen so that everyone can get back in and Cal comes with me.. but Fire.. o no.. he spots the chickens, and runs to get to them.. I took photos, sorry the first one is so blurry, but I was quite a good distance away from him, they get better as I get closer.

So here is the play by play.. See's Chickens, Runs straight at them, stops about eight feet, tail up, looking at all three of them.. starts barkings at them.. The two hens split off to the right.. he stays on the main hen (my Dark Leghorn Hen), and in the photos, you can see him coming in on her (Photo One), Photo Two, he is so! pushing her flight zone, still barking, still upright, still got tail up and over back, totally bold little bugger.. Third photo, He pushed in on her to the point she flies right over his head, he looks around.. so proud of himself and runs right back to me and hits this pose, Which to me looks like very much like..

That was so fun.. what next?