Seach my Blogs or Website

Friday, May 28, 2010

Crate Training/Housebreaking Icelandic Sheepdog Puppies

Hi Folks

As many of you know having spoken to me in person, you are aware that I am a fan of correctly using a crate for help in housebreaking, if you can't watch the puppy and be there to read cue's having a safe place to put puppy is a awesome thing

Live example of just how EARLY a puppy can show signs of housebreaking, so as you can imagine, I am on extra floor washing duty and I use different cleaners for different things but my main rinse is normally hot water with bleach, and I don't like the pups on the floor when doing so

Adult dogs went into the kitchen (while doing the livingroom floors) and I woke up the oldest litter, let them have their wake up pee's outside and brought them in and crated them in their nap/feed/put away big crate in the living room (they can already climb over the side of whelping box)

Anyway, these little tikes are normally quite good about this but Prevocative in Pearls would not settle down, she was fussy, but I washed the floors and then turned on overhead fans and the big floor drying fan (takes about 15 min or so to dry the whole floor, and she was fussy the whole time.. I said at least three times.. " you know you don't get let out when making that kind of fuss" well the floor was dry and she was in the howl stage of let me out of this crate.. so I am standing there.. three sleeping, one fussing and waiting, for that one second of quiet/good behaviour that I can reward, when final she stops and looks at me with these wide eyes, and I take it, and open the door.. out she runs, two steps out of the crate and she goes #2..

First.. BAD, Bad me for not figuring out that this might have been the issue but WOW baby girl to have held on for close to twenty min and not mess your crate.. you rock little girl! Breeder Mom promises that she will listen to your cues better in the future.

So I stand by the fact that properly used crates are wonderful training tools for many things, and that its up to us to keep our little ones on schedules and to read their cues, and they will do their best to be clean for us, its breed into them to keep their Den and Area clean, its up to us to teach them that means the whole house :)